New Maverick CWU-45P
Our “New” Cooper Original™ Maverick CWU-45P is our recreation of the CWU jacket worn by the star of the movie Top Gun: Maverick. The CWU was first introduced in the early 1970s, eventually replacing the venerable MA-1, and is still in active duty with the USN, USMC, USAF & USCG today. Its two most iconic features are the two large front cargo pockets with velcro-closure flaps and the rounded collar. Unlike the military-issue Nomex version, our CWU is made from Military-grade flight satin nylon, making it far more affordable.
The Cooper Original™ Maverick CWU-45P features:
- Water repellent military-grade satin nylon outer shell
- Quilted nylon / polyester interlinings
- Two large lined, double stitched Velcro closure front pockets
- Heavy duty zipper over storm flap
- Knit cuffs & waistband
- Storm flap
- One inside pocket
- Zippered combination utility/pencil pocket on left sleeve
- Chest plaque for Velcro backed leather ID (Not included)
- Embroidered Cloth Patches
- Authentic Cloth patches as seen on the movie jacket. Patches include
- The Air Test and Evaluation Squadron (VX) 31 “Dust Devils” patch on the right chest
- Embossed leather US Wings® nameplate on the left chest
- The USN Fighter Weapons School patch on the right sleeve
- The US Flag above the utility pocket on the left sleeve
- Colors: Green
- Fit: Normal
These products are all natural and hand made in the USA. It will help preserve your new jacket or add years back to your old one. Exposure to the elements and regular wear will dry out and fade your jacket. Replenish your jacket now!
Earlier flight jackets were made from fabrics that were found to melt when a pilot was caught in a fire. As technology improved, there was a need for a fire-retardant jacket. This led to the rise of the CWU (Cold Weather Uniform) 36/P and 45/P made from Nomex. Created by Dupont and known for its excellent thermal, chemical, and radiation resistant. The military still issue Nomex jackets to Air Force pilots. Manufacturers created the Nylon version of the CWU45P for the commercial market.